Saturday, June 7, 2008

White Sangria for a Blazing Hot Day

Two parties this weekend and I would normally cook something up to bring, but it was just too damn hot. I didn't even want to LOOK at the stove today. So I tried to copy an amazing white sangria that I sampled at a wine store in Red Hook a few weeks ago. The secret: tamarind juice. I embellished on the recipe of course. Homemade coolness. One of the parties was a housewarming for two friends who just moved in together and have more than enough to start their home, so I brought the sangria in a thermos they can use for summer concerts and stuff.

White Sangria

2 bottles of mid-priced Chardonnay
1/2 cup tamarind juice
2 chopped apricots
2 chopped peaches
1 chopped peeled apple
about 30 grapes, halved and juice
Juice from 3 limes
splash of black currant cordial (optional, I just happened to have it on hand).

Add crushed ice and you're good to go.

(you can use any kind of fruit, really. I made it again and used peaches and nectarines. Blood oranges and passion fruit juice work well, too. For an even lighter taste, splash a bit of soda water on top and add a lime wedge.)

No comments: