Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stuffed Poblano Peppers & Potato-Leek Soup

I went to a new farmer's market this weekend 'cause I missed Saturday at Grand Army Plaza. This one was on 5th Avenue between 3rd and 4th Street--much smaller than the Saturday morning one, but serviceable for the week. I planned to roast a chicken this week with beets, leeks, and potatoes, so I picked up an extra leek and few extra potatoes to make some soup. I'd never made it before, so I had to fish around on the internet for a recipe. Epicurious came through, with a recipe from Gourmet magazine. I added some touches of my own. I had to really improvise my stuffed peppers, though. I can never find a good recipe. This one turned out pretty well, but I wish I had used pork for the filling.

Stuffed Poblanos

4 small-medium poblano peppers
3 tbsp ricotta cheese
1 lb lean ground turkey meat
1 medium onion, diced
salt, pepper, cumin, paprika
2 tbsp cilantro

Roast the peppers over an open flame, and while they are still hot, pop them in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge. I'm not sure what this really does to the peppers, but my boyfriend does it and it seems to work to make it easier to peel the black off the roasted peppers. While the peppers are cooling, sautee the onion in a bit of olive oil until carmelized. Add the turkey meat and seasonings. Sautee until browned. Cool the meat mixture, and then grind the meat in a food processor until finely chopped and consistent. Combine the meat mixture with the ricotta cheese and cilantro. Peel and open the peppers, making little hats out of the stem part. Stuff the peppers, attach the hats (you might need toothpicks), and stick 'em on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Accompanied nicely by a fresh tomato slice.

Potato-Leek Soup

1 leek, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup chicken broth
2 medium red potatoes, diced
salt, pepper
1/4 cup cream

In a large saucepan sautee the leeks and the garlic cloves in the butter with salt and pepper to taste, covered, over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until they are softened but not browned. Add the potatoes and brown just a bit. Add the water and the broth and simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. In a blender purée the soup. You can store it this way (either in the fridge or the freezer) and then add the cream as you're heating the soup up.

No comments: