Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Critical Primary Night Sustenance

In order to stomach the punditry this evening, we needed sustenance. Not very economical in terms of time, but this meal is a nice and tasty no-meat dish. Check it out.

Tempeh and Broccoli over Quinoa with a Tamari-Ginger Sauce
(Serves 2, with enough for lunch-leftovers)

1 12 oz-package of tempeh (I like veggie or mutigrain)
2 cups raw broccoli
1 cup quinoa
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 veggie boullion cube
1 medium onion
salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp sherry
1 Tbsp oil

Start with the sauce. Dice the garlic and ginger and mix together the rest of the ingredients. Let sit. I thought about adding a thickener but didn't. I might the next time. D suggested maybe pureed chick pea--just enough to thicken it up a bit.

I haven't yet perfected the quinoa formula, I have to admit, but I start out with 2 cups of water, add the quinoa, and dump the 1/2 boullion cube in there and bring to a boil. I usually have to add water, which is why I said 2 1/2 cups of water.

Steam broccoli florets (kind of small) in some water with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then cover for about 5 minutes until the florets are tender. Drain and set aside.

Slice up the onion, set aside. Take the tempeh and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Place about 2 Tbsp oil in a cast iron pan or wok and heat until its smokin'. Dump those onions in there and watch them sizzle. When they get soft, throw in the tempeh cubes and saute until both the onions and the tempeh are nice and browned. Add the steamed broccoli florets to the pan, and pour about 1/3 of the sauce over the whole mix.

Spoon about 3 heaping Tbsp on a plate, place an attractive amount of the tempeh, broccoli, onion mix on top, and then drizzle with some of the sauce (easier if it's thicker, that's for sure). Serve with a side of beautiful salad, and you're set. I can't guarantee that you'll be able to fully enjoy the meal while watching Brit Hume, though. He's horrible. I would have chosen another network if I had it to do over again.

No comments: